Yes, it is 100% free to upgrade your computer / laptop to Windows 10 if you have original windows 7 and windows 8 operating system installed. BUT you just have one year to upgrade to new Microsoft Windows 10 for free and after that you have to buy this new OS if you want to upgrade.
Now coming to the point on how you can upgrade your system to latest operating system i.e. Windows 10. In this process, you will learn to upgrade your existing OS without waiting for the notification from Microsoft.
First of all, visit this link and download 32bit or 64bit Media Creation Tool (a software tool which will upgrade your system automatically). If you have 32 bit OS then download 32 bit else for 64bit click on second download link. Also, make sure to read all the instructions carefully.
Once you have downloaded your media creation tool, simply run it and follow the screenshot instructions. Basically you just have to click on continue/ok buttons but keep an eye on what and where you are clicking, any wrong move can lead you to restart the process again (means additional time and GB wasted).
Before you start the upgrade, few things to note down –
- Make sure your C drive have enough space. I think minimum 25GB should be enough to install Windows 10 smoothly.
- Make sure you have power backup otherwise you may face some issues if the installation is interrupted due to power loss. Better to charge your laptop battery to 100% & with power cable connected with power and if you are using desktop, make sure you have the arrangement in case there is power cut.
- Make sure you have high speed internet connection and don’t switchoff your internet during the upgradation process.
- It is better to backup your computer or laptop before installation, in case if there is any installation failure. Generally the process of upgrading windows 10 is very smooth and you just have to run media tool and follow some onscreen instructions, else everything will be taken care by this tool. All your data will be as it is once you are successfully upgraded (I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows10). Your C Drive data will not be deleted by this new OS. It’s like you are upgrading existing Mobile app in your smartphone.
During installtion, it will look like this. (sorry for low quality screenshot)
Here is the few screenshots of Windows 10.
Generally the complete upgrade process is divided into 3 steps.
1. It will copy important files once everything is downloaded from internet.
2. Then it will install those files and features.
3. Finally it will configure your system automatically.
As I said above you don’t need to do anything else. This process will take time anywhere from 1hr to 4hr or even more depending on the internet speed and your system configuration. Simply sit back and read your favorite books so that you can finish a book while upgrade is in process.
If you have any specific question to ask, please ask it below. Thank you. :-) and welcome to Windows 10.